This form is for http://1337xstitch.yolasite.com/ Its for people who love to cross stitch Anime, Video Games, Japanese, Geeky, and or Nerdy patterns.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorate book/ book series

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaraphena

PostSubject: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 am

So I'm assuming some of us read. XD My favorate book series are The Belgariad and Mallioran plus the three companion books Belgarath the Sorceror, Polgara the Sorceress and The Rivan Codex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topcho

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm a little book worm and as such I have many favourite books. study My big book love is Tolkien - off course Lord of the ring is on first place, but I love all his other works as well, from Roverandom to Silmarillion. Other series I like are Terry Pratchett's Discworld, the Watch serie of Sergey Lukyanenko (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch and Last Watch). And I lately read Inkheart and really liked it, so now I'm waiting for the Inkspell and InkDeath to be published.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://topchochan.blogspot.com/
Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:31 pm

My mom loves Tolken. I've actually yet to read the LOTR series. Probably because we lost our copy of The Hobbit, and I wanted to start there. My mom also reads alot of Anne Rice, the Vampire Chronicals and the Mayfair witches. I've read one of her books, but it was one of her erotics under one of her pen names. Another favorate author of mine, C.S. Lewis. I LOVE the Chronicals of Narnia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topcho

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Narnia couldn't really capture me. I've been thinking, maybe if I was younger when I started reading it, it would have greater impact on me. I started the books after the first movie came out, but gave up after the forth.

I've been wanting for some time to read something of Anne Rice. I really like vampire stories. I even wrote some lol Embarassed But after the *Twilight phenomenon* I'm in constant fear whether the vampires will sparkle >.< And the reason why I avoid The Belgariad is because in one forum there's a guy called Belgarion... and I really doubt his characteristics and those of the hero from the book are identical but... stupid reasons I know

LOTR is great story, if you like beautiful epic fanatsy, you will LOVE it lol! I actually read it before The Hobbit. When I was 7, during the summer Dad told me the stories of Bilbo and Frodo, I wanted more and more and finally for my 8th birthday he gave me LOTR. It took me 3 months to read it back then, because on some places I was so afraid (especially in Moria! bbbr) that I didn't want to go on reading. But in the end the curiosity won. And since then I've been an avid Tolkien fangirl.

Oh, and I like quite the Harry Potter series, but the last book disappointed me, as well as the movies.
Back to top Go down
Eryn

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I like LOTR as well and Harry Potter is cool as well, but I haven't read the last book until now u.u I don't find the time to read it

About Anne Rice I got to say, READ IT! Interwiew with a vampire is great and got so nothing to do with Twilight *hates that everyone's got a vampire book out since that stupid uninteresting book*

the author who's must have for me is Anne Bishop and her Dark Jewels verse. It's really dark and full of erotic, political intrigues, violence, interesting characters and a great detailed world
Back to top Go down
View user profile
missy-tannenbaum

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:23 pm

This is a really hard question! I really like Jane Austen books, especially Northanger Abbey, and no matter how many papers I've had to write on The Picture of Dorian Gray, I haven't gotten tired of it. I also really like Douglas Adams, and when new Harry Potter books came out, I'd sit and read them in one day. ^^ It's a little disappointing that the series is done, but there's always something else to read!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dorkstitch.blogspot.com
Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Anne Rice's vampires are much more awesome than Twilight's sparkly vampires. My mother and my sister LOVE Anne Rice, so I know alot about them w/o even having read any of her books, though I did get half way through Interveiw with the Vampire when I was younger. Also, according to my older sister who has read the Twilight series, and seen the movie, she says they messed up the 'sparkly-ness' in the movie. XD I'd read the Twilight series, but to me, it reads like a bad fanfiction, so, I never got past chapter two. I should probably finish Harry Potter. Got half way through book six before I got 'Harry Potter'd out' as it were. My parents REALLY like the movies X_x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Topcho

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:02 pm

Jane Austin is great too, especially when I want to have a rest from the fantasy (this doesn't happen very often, but still). My favourite is Sense and Sensibility along with the movie with Alan Rickman Embarassed Today I started Douglas Adams' Guide and I like the style ^^

I'm a pure Twilight hater, I watched the movie only because of a hilarious parody i saw on youtube. Then I read the first book because I made a bet with a classmate - I read Twilight adn she watches LOTS. I hardly finished it. It was boring, unoriginal and lacked depth. Every second word was "pale" or "green". According to my own personal statistic of the people who love the Twilight series - they're people who just don't have enough books read to make the comparison. Rolling Eyes (Sorry if there's a fan here, but from the people I know - that's what I see)
Back to top Go down
Sherri

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:34 pm

I love Harry Potter, books are fantastic (I loved them all!) but films are weaker. To the others you mentioned.. Chronicles of Narnia are good, but I love only some books, most the Dawn Treader, the Magician's Nephew and the first and the last one. I read LOTR and Hobbit, nice stories, but HP is better. I don't know Twilight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pralinkova-princezna.deviantart.com/
Chrislea

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:10 am

The Count of Monte Cristo, hands down! ^o^ I love a good revenge story, and every time somebody tries to recycle this plot into something "original", they always botch it. The hero has regrets and learns to forgive. The hero doesn't succeed and learns it's not worth it. Forget that stuff! Dantes pulled it off and married a princess! XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Awenmir

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:20 pm

I really enjoyed the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman - although the film adaptation of Northern lights was pretty appalling. I'd really recommend Garth Nix's books too - the Abhorson trilogy is amazing Very Happy. I bought that 100 classic books collection for my DS the other month so I'm working my way through that at the moment! Lots to choose from ^.^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://awenmir.deviantart.com
Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:13 pm

For classics, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Secret Garden are my two favorates. Even though it isn't increadably true to the book, I love the movie The Secret Garden with Maggie Smith. Then again, I like Maggie Smith. I was thrilled to find out she was playing in the Harry Potter movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deejay Beta
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:53 am

Topcho wrote:

I'm a pure Twilight hater, I watched the movie only because of a hilarious parody i saw on youtube. Then I read the first book because I made a bet with a classmate - I read Twilight adn she watches LOTS. I hardly finished it. It was boring, unoriginal and lacked depth. Every second word was "pale" or "green". According to my own personal statistic of the people who love the Twilight series - they're people who just don't have enough books read to make the comparison. Rolling Eyes (Sorry if there's a fan here, but from the people I know - that's what I see)

Lets please try to avoid things like this. It is very offensive to people who do enjoy the books and it makes them embarrassed to say that they enjoy it. No one should have to feel that way for something they enjoy and no one on this board should be putting anyone down for it. I myself love the Twilight series and its a small part of the 57 books I couldn't live without. I am very sick of having people mock that series. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to put others down for it.

For future reference on all subjects, if you would like to rant about something you dislike, please do it on another forum. Or make sure your subject and wording won't offend any members or guests.

I'm sure you didn't mean any harm Topcho, I just want this community to be a uplifting and nurturing place, I hope you understand.

Topcho

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:52 pm

I honestly didn't mean any harm or to offend anyone, so like aforesaid, sorry to the fans. I'll restrain from suchlike comments.
Back to top Go down
Deejay Beta
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:16 am

Thank you for understanding. ^-^

Since your are a fan of LOTR and Inkheart how did you enjoy the movies. I loved the Inkheart book but the movie annoyed me a little, it was like every 3 seconds they went back to the castle; in the book it seemed like there was stuff that happened in between.

Topcho

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 pm

I love the LOTR movies but haven't watched Inkheart. I actually found by accident that there was a movie, while I was checking if the two other books are already translated. If I find it and have the time, I'll probably give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 pm

*dance* I finally got a copy of the next book in the series I started reading a while back. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deejay Beta
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Has anyone ever read the Amelia Atwater-Rhodes books? I love her book Hawksong.

Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:06 am

I just started a new book series by Melanie Rown. The first book is called Dragon Prince. It kinda goes up and down in intrest. Some parts are really good, others, boring as hell. It evens itself out. XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
missy-tannenbaum

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about new stuff I've been reading, since it seems more a place for talking about old favorites, judging by the majority of posts, but have any of you read the Twelve Kingdoms books? I've been looking for a good series to read since Harry Potter ended, and since Borders has been carrying more books in their manga section, I picked up the first of these, and so far, it's really good. The characters are interesting, with realistic reactions to what's going on, the fantasy parts are interesting and inventive, and it's such a fast read and hard to put down that I was really glad I picked it up.
Back to top Go down
Deejay Beta
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

I decided to pick Tsubasa back up again and remembered why that it is so good. I love the characters and the way Clamp gives you small hints on the main story and characters in each volume. I also decided to collect every Yuu Watase manga because she is my favorite author. But because I decided this all in one day I ended up spending my entire tax return on buying Tsubasa and Ceres T.T

missy-tannenbaum

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I never got as into Tsubasa as a lot of people, but I used to read Ceres all the time! My dad always brought me the single issues from a comic shop, and I was addicted to it. (Plus, the manga version is waaaay better than the anime one.) I hope you like it! What of Yuu Watase's works do you like best?
Back to top Go down
Deejay Beta
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:18 pm

well FY is what got me started, I loved the first 3 vol of Absolute Boyfriend and Imadoki is really cute. But I would have to go with FY its just a classic. I'll see if that changes after I finish Ceres.

Zaraphena

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:23 pm

So the book I was reading by Melanie Rowen has gotten rather boring and I honestly FORGOT I was reading it. XDD. How sad is that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorate book/ book series   

Back to top Go down

Favorate book/ book series
Page 1 of 1